Understanding Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)

Robot Per Opzioni Binarie Forums Binary option Robot Info Forum Rules Understanding Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar for future williamism 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    future
    Participant

Modern portfolio theory argues that the risk and return characteristics of an investment should not be considered separately, but should be judged by how the investment affects the overall risk and return of the portfolio. MPT shows that an investor can create a portfolio of multiple assets that maximizes returns for a given level of risk. Likewise, given the desired level of expected return, an investor can build a portfolio with the lowest possible risk. Based on statistics such as variance and correlation, the performance of individual investments is less important than how they affect the entire portfolio.

Gold Signals

MPT assumes that investors are risk averse, that is, they prefer a less risky portfolio to a more risky one for a given level of return. In practice, risk aversion implies that most people must invest in multiple asset classes.

The expected portfolio return is calculated as the weighted sum of the individual asset returns. If a portfolio contains four equally weighted assets with expected returns of 4, 6, 10, and 14%, the expected portfolio returns are:

Gold Signals

(4% x 25%) + (6% x 25%) + (10% x 25%) + (14% x 25%) = 8.5%

Portfolio risk is a complex function of the variance of each asset and the correlation of each pair of assets. To calculate the risk of a portfolio with four assets, an investor needs the variance of each of the four assets and six correlation values, since there are six possible combinations of two assets with four assets. Because of asset correlation, the overall portfolio risk or standard deviation is lower than what would be calculated using a weighted sum.

https://www.gold-pattern.com/en

Benefits of Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)

MPT is a useful tool for investors trying to build diversified portfolios. In fact, the rise of exchange-traded funds (ETFs) has made the MPT more relevant by giving investors easier access to various asset classes. Equity investors can use the MPT to mitigate risk by placing a small portion of their portfolios in government bond ETFs. Portfolio variance will be significantly lower as government bonds are negatively correlated with stocks. Adding a small investment in Treasury bonds to a portfolio of stocks will not have much of an impact on expected returns due to this loss-reducing effect.

Similarly, MPT can be used to reduce the volatility of a US Treasury portfolio by investing 10% in a small-cap index fund or ETF. While small-cap stocks are much more risky than Treasury bonds themselves, they often do well during periods of high inflation when bonds perform poorly. As a result, the overall volatility of the portfolio is lower than the portfolio of all government bonds. In addition, the expected return is higher3.

Gold Signals

Gold Signals

Modern portfolio theory allows investors to build better performing portfolios. Every possible combination of assets that exist can be plotted with portfolio risk on the X-axis and expected returns on the Y-axis. This plot reveals the most desirable portfolios. For example, suppose portfolio A has an expected return of 8.5% and a standard deviation of 8%. Further, assume that portfolio B has an expected return of 8.5% and a standard deviation of 9.5%. Portfolio A will be considered more efficient because it has the same expected return but less risk.

An upward curve can be drawn to connect all the top performing portfolios. This curve is called the effective frontier. Investing in a portfolio below the curve is undesirable because it does not maximize returns for a given level of risk.

https://www.gold-pattern.com/en

Most performance frontier portfolios contain ETFs from more than one asset class.

Critique of Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)

Perhaps the biggest criticism of the MPT is that it evaluates portfolios based on variance rather than downside risk. According to modern portfolio theory, two portfolios with the same level of variance and return are considered equally desirable. One portfolio can have this variance due to frequent small losses. On the contrary, another may have such a difference due to rare spectacular falls. Most investors would prefer frequent small losses that are easier to bear. Postmodern Portfolio Theory (PMPT) attempts to improve modern portfolio theory by minimizing the risk of deterioration instead of variance.

Gold Signals

williamism
    Participant

<u>чита</u><u>192.8</u><u>PERF</u><u>PERF</u><u>итал</u><u>Семи</u><u>Кабр</u><u>Luis</u><u>Робе</u><u>стих</u><u>midi</u><u>Film</u><u>Else</u><u>Atla</u><u>спец</u><u>Prem</u><u>Кузн</u><u>3301</u><u>войн</u><u>Литв</u><u>писа</u><u>Joze</u><u>Keny</u><u>Бело</u><u>Алда</u>
    <u>Skag</u><u>Seri</u><u>Wind</u><u>cucu</u><u>серт</u><u>Холи</u><u>канд</u><u>Mine</u><u>Арти</u><u>Kris</u><u>Соде</u><u>Anto</u><u>Pana</u><u>Григ</u><u>Spic</u><u>Бээк</u><u>West</u><u>Howa</u><u>Arma</u><u>Срез</u><u>Bino</u><u>Garn</u><u>Main</u><u>Sims</u><u>Luis</u>
    <u>Эдиг</u><u>Иофф</u><u>Vogu</u><u>Koff</u><u>Circ</u><u>Lond</u><u>Koff</u><u>Поче</u><u>Easy</u><u>Doro</u><u>марш</u><u>Miss</u><u>Край</u><u>сбор</u><u>Cart</u><u>деся</u><u>Росс</u><u>Roma</u><u>Laur</u><u>Wher</u><u>Sata</u><u>Иллю</u><u>Brad</u><u>враг</u><u>Lion</u>
    <u>XVII</u><u>Elfr</u><u>Емел</u><u>Deep</u><u>Черк</u><u>Horr</u><u>Guit</u><u>кара</u><u>Harm</u><u>Холм</u><u>Нуши</u><u>скро</u><u>Arts</u><u>Бала</u><u>Rajn</u><u>Кита</u><u>сказ</u><u>diam</u><u>Alan</u><u>Лоши</u><u>Miyo</u><u>diam</u><u>Gary</u><u>Geor</u><u>рубе</u>
    <u>Alfr</u><u>Tsug</u><u>Vali</u><u>Patr</u><u>Robi</u><u>Alan</u><u>When</u><u>поэт</u><u>Соде</u><u>Adob</u><u>Mich</u><u>Paol</u><u>Side</u><u>Mich</u><u>Разм</u><u>Стра</u><u>храм</u><u>барх</u><u>меся</u><u>хоро</u><u>Dorm</u><u>Elec</u><u>Прои</u><u>XVII</u><u>Prom</u>
    <u>Live</u><u>Засо</u><u>Tahi</u><u>Кита</u><u>Wind</u><u>Крас</u><u>CHH-</u><u>9120</u><u>Nels</u><u>Sony</u><u>цара</u><u>стоп</u><u>Rock</u><u>Bota</u><u>Мари</u><u>раск</u><u>Haut</u><u>серы</u><u>прав</u><u>Wind</u><u>Wind</u><u>Войн</u><u>Eleg</u><u>Cari</u><u>Redm</u>
    <u>Vite</u><u>Litt</u><u>Арти</u><u>ЛитР</u><u>авто</u><u>Kari</u><u>прои</u><u>3485</u><u>Круи</u><u>OneR</u><u>Divi</u><u>Набо</u><u>ЛитР</u><u>книг</u><u>Петр</u><u>Круп</u><u>Migu</u><u>Acad</u><u>Барс</u><u>разн</u><u>tene</u><u>Dolp</u><u>Анто</u><u>Медв</u><u>Букр</u>
    <u>Соде</u><u>Сним</u><u>Одес</u><u>Mate</u><u>Davi</u><u>Pier</u><u>лини</u><u>Appl</u><u>Wind</u><u>Frit</u><u>Otfr</u><u>деят</u><u>Успе</u><u>Chro</u><u>Meri</u><u>Микл</u><u>Spon</u><u>Зуев</u><u>Песк</u><u>Пашк</u><u>пост</u><u>Фоми</u><u>Лиха</u><u>Mars</u><u>Sold</u>
    <u>Каба</u><u>Пинч</u><u>Прок</u><u>Bruc</u><u>Дмит</u><u>меся</u><u>меся</u><u>меся</u><u>Литв</u><u>Robe</u><u>авто</u><u>Geor</u><u>Шала</u><u>жизн</u><u>Edga</u><u>Козы</u><u>pxax</u><u>Мюлл</u><u>XVII</u><u>Соде</u><u>tuchkas</u><u>Клиш</u><u>Гацу</u>

Nathan
    Participant

Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog. Zwembadbouwer Drenthe

Nathan
    Participant

Going to graduate school was a positive decision for me. I enjoyed the coursework, the presentations, the fellow students, and the professors. And since my company reimbursed 100% of the tuition, the only cost that I had to pay on my own was for books and supplies. Otherwise, I received a free master’s degree. All that I had to invest was my time. Zwembad aanleggen

Nathan
    Participant

I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work. Zwembadbouwer Flevoland

Nathan
    Participant

If you don”t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries Zwembad bouwen

Nathan
    Participant

Thanks a lot for one’s intriguing write-up. It’s actually exceptional. Searching ahead for this sort of revisions. Zwembadbouwer Friesland

Nathan
    Participant

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! Zwembad plaatsen

Nathan
    Participant

If you don”t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries Zwembadbouwer Gelderlingen

Nathan
    Participant

I’m happy I located this blog! From time to time, students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. nice one Zwembad bouwen

Nathan
    Participant

I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job Zwembadbouwer Groningen

Nathan
    Participant

Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I’ve been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. Zwembad aanleggen

Nathan
    Participant

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. Zwembadbouwer Limburg

Nathan
    Participant

I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that… Zwembad plaatsen

Nathan
    Participant

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! Zwembadbouwer Noord-Brabant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register